Wednesday 14 October 2009

New plaster part 2

Well I've demoulded the casts. The simple casts are fine and came out of the molds with no problems, even though they feel a little "soft". I snapped a tile with some bubbles in it to get an idea of strength and it is weaker than my old Stonecast, however it's still much stronger than Plaster of Paris. Now the strength test isn't really fair as it won't really be set until tomorrow but it gives me an idea. I think it'll be strong enough for what I'm building. If I wanted thin, graceful walls for elf buildings or something I'd have concerns but for my chunky egyptian stuff I think it'll be fine. The more complex/fragile pieces such as the fountain accesory pieces didn't come out so well, I expect they'll need much more time in the mould to set. However, such pieces only matter for decoration and I don't need many at all. The floor tiles, wall pieces, basic blocks and pillar parts I need for the bulk of the build have come out fine and quickly, so the build is on!

No comments:

Post a Comment