Wednesday 7 October 2009

Mind the Gap

A word of advice, filling gaps with PVA is rubbish. I did the smallest piece that way and couldn't face the rest. It takes a long time, shrinks a little as it dries and dries clear which makes it difficult to spot problems.


So I used playdough. I bought a cheap tub for £0.97 from the local Wilkinson's and used a toothpick to push small lumps into the gaps in the walls making sure the dough was lower than the bricks. It was only slightly quicker than the PVA but there was no drying time where things could change. It's also blatantly obvious where you've been working and any excess dough can just be brushed off the wall.


Now obviously playdough isn't strong or resilient like dried glue and I wouldn't suggest painting over it. However that doesn't matter for this purpose. All the playdough has to do is prevent liquid rubber from flowing into the big gaps, something it is perfectly capable of doing. I dropped the walls along with a selection of floor tiles and pillar sections with a friend of mine who does resin casting so that he could create me some molds. I'd do it myself but I'm out of rubber and he has more space :) Thanks Curtis! I'll get to see them tonight when my wife picks them up for me on her way home from work and tomorrow I'll hopefully be able to start casting properly. The idea with the new molds is that I'll have enough pieces to make at least one floor tile with every cast. Which is good because I've pledged the labyrinth for a game down in London in 3 weeks time. Nothing like a deadline to get things moving!


No comments:

Post a Comment